Saturday, May 7, 2011

A POEM FOR MY DAUGHTERS

Today's my youngest daughter's birthday. Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Hence this poem.

Triolet for Four Daughters

since that rough passage past my bones

awash in pain  swathed delight

dearest daughters known/misknown

since that rough passage past my bones

rivers surging over stones

whose darkest patches flash with light

since that rough passage past my bones

washed from pain  subdued delight

                                      Joan Kane Nichols

For you poetry buffs out there, a triolet is a one-stanza poem of eight lines, rhyming abaaabab. The fourth and seventh lines are the same as the first, and the eighth line is the same as the second. As you can see, I've taken some liberties with the form.

1 comment:

  1. I like how the poem says much, in few words; and the variation in the eighth line.

    ReplyDelete